Thursday, 26 July 2012

Beginning the Bronte Country Quilt

Today was horribly humid in the UK but I really need to bash on with this quilt so I began sewing and cutting for the sky and viaduct.

Normally I would built a quilt from the bottom up but on this occasion, to ensure the perspective of the viaduct I began at the top.

I used a variation of the very clever 5 minute block by Suzanne McNeill.  I cut pieces in the sky fabric 4 1/2" x 2",  pieces of the stone fabric 3/4 x 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 x 4 1/2".

 The reason for edging the 2" pieces with the stone fabric was to provide upright columns for the arches of the viaduct.

Building the blocks from this point was very straightforward. I love this pattern, it is straightforward and versitile.

So now with the blocks made, I sew them together and the arches and columns of the visduct appear!  It looked good, and what was in my head worked.  I will admit to a small squeek of relief at this point!

The columns of the viaduct need to be longer.  To have made the block itself longer would have changed the angles of the arches (you will just have to trust me here because I tried it lol).  Also it needed a  top.  So I added  both rows

Now all I had to do was sew the viaduct  to the sky

And I was done for the day!

Many thanks to Suzanne for her brilliant block which I use a lot and to Mr Daisy for his mathematical brain which I also use a lot!

1 comment: